Basement ceilings are often designed as drop ceilings so that the homeowner still has easy access to the plumbing and ventilation ducts that run between the first floor and the basement ceiling. Drop ceilings look great, but they aren’t the only option. Let us show you how we can design an amazing ceiling for your basement.
- Create a Design: You’ve seen the intricately designed ceilings in European homes. Recreate that appearance, or look online for ceiling design ideas. You can use crown molding, trim, or chair rail to create some pretty amazing designs.
- Draw an Outline: Draw the outline of your ceiling idea on the ceiling in pencil so you can paint over it if you decide you hate it before it goes up.
- Buy the Materials: Choose the materials you’re going to use and go buy them. This is also the perfect time to decide whether the wood will be painted or stained. Buy all of your materials in one trip if possible.
- Measure Twice, Cut Once: Cutting trim requires precision measuring. All carpenters and woodworkers are familiar with the idea of measuring twice and cutting once, because we can always remove more, but we can’t make a board longer if we cut too short.
- Finish: Paint or stain the pieces and allow them to dry completely before installing them.
- Install Carefully: Carefully install the trim pieces where you want them to create the design you’ve created.
Working on the ceiling isn’t necessarily an easy task. You may even decide that it is simpler to build the entire design on the floor and raise it to the ceiling as a complete unit. You will probably need help with this project, because it requires precision measuring, cutting, and installation in order to look right.
The basement in your newly remodeled basement doesn’t have to be plain. It doesn’t have to be a solid color, flat, or even have light fixtures. Your basement design needs to fit your lifestyle and your idea of the perfect basement. Look through several pages of Google images, Pinterest, and other home improvement websites before making your final decision.
Give Quality Built Basements a call at 860-667-8105 if you’re planning to remodel your basement in Newington, CT or any of our other service areas, and we’ll schedule a time for a consultation. We enjoy the challenges presented in the basement design process and look forward to seeing what challenges your basement has in store for us.